Link Update

The Organizational Meeting minutes is updated and a link for it can be found on the right of this page. Salary Addendum is attached.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Surfing by Michael Cristo

The inclusion of Ryan here has been a great addition and a welcome change with a fresh focus on new topics.  I enjoy his writing style and the fact that he can express a thought or opinion in far fewer words than I can.  It's been a nice change of pace.

With this change of direction, I've been waiting for inspiration to hit and it came from TV last night.  These days I hate the fact that I have 1000 channels to watch and it seems like there is never anything on, so perhaps like many people, I just surf and try to find something.

In surfing, I have found some of the dumbest shows that absolutely implore me to watch... and I have.  Over the weekend I found myself too curious to ignore Hillbilly Hand Fishing and watched an episode of that.  One is plenty!  Not exactly on my bucket list of things to do before I die.  At least they don't have to bleep out every other word, so it seems that oddly enough, in the most  unsophisticated of sports... they have a little class.

I think hand fishing was on Animal Planet and I was doing some work while it was on so I didn't change the channel.  The following show, was far more enticing, Gator Boys!  A couple of crazy guys who get alligators out of people's yards in Florida!  No guns or tranquilizers, these guys go in with their bare hands, dive in the water and wrestle the alligators out.  Apologize to them, kiss them on the snout and bring them to a nature preserve.  FREAKS!  It's a train wreck you can't help but watch.

Surfing took a tragic turn last night as I couldn't help but see what "Curious and Unusual Deaths" was about.  Can't believe that deserved a show or that anybody would want their story told on THAT show.  What a rotten way to be famous.  Didn't watch the whole thing, surfed over to "Saving Ronald Reagan" which was actually interesting.  However, we hit rock bottom right after that... A show that said, "Don't turn the dial, this you HAVE to see!"  No gators, no fish, no death.  A show that actually made me say, "You've got to be kidding me!"  and I had to watch.

HALF TON MOM!  And it's exactly what it says.  A lady, 29 years old, was 900 LBS!  How is THAT possible.  She had gastric bypass surgery.  How does that help?  Even if you lose 500 pounds, you're still morbidly obese and have all this extra skin!  Thank God I fell asleep before it was over and woke up to turn off the TV.

If there is something that is a don't miss, please share it.  Most prime time shows are far less interesting.  Makes Professional Bull Riding look far more sane.

12 comments:

  1. I watch few shows Mike, but I do like Person Of Interest. A computer designed to detect terrorists can also detect a person who is targeted for death. A number matches a name and the clock is running to find out who the would be assassin is. Always a reminder that big brother is forever looking over your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike the show that has got me hooked is The Walking Dead. I will admit I didn't start watching it when it first came on, but one day after Christmas there was a marathon, and I happen to see a few shows. Needless to say i have been hooked ever since, and believe it or not I still haven't seen every episode. I know what people will think who wants to watch a bunch of zombies, but trust me give the show a chance.

    I still do American Idol, although I don't really like it as much any more. Nascar started this past weekend with the Bud Shootout, and Baseball starts soon, and I will watch the Yanks, but otherwise I don't really watch a lot of t.v.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Person of interest is great, walking dead i haven't seen yet and I haven't seen American Idol at all this year. I have seen the voice and there is some great talent on that. I'm told swamp people is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,
    Think you need a hobby :) Maybe fashioning political bobble head prototypes? Would it be slander to do E.G. local pols? In funny poses, like picking taxpayers' pockets?
    Wait, there's always reality TV. Again, something local: The Scariest Place on Earth?; Public Officials Behaving Badly?; The Fifth Wheel(Rick)?; or since nothing is sacred here, Real Housewives of East Greenbush?
    Anyway, I surf too. Noticed that ultra large woman myself. Passed, as I'd seen the movie: "What's eating Gilbert Grape." In any case, not my cup of tea to some one self destructing.
    Try this if TV bores... YouTube videos. Type in any topic, even E.G., though that maybe scarier than the Walking Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Bill O'Reilly. However, I do find him a bit arrogent.

    Has anyone seen The Five on Fox Channel 70 at five P M.
    I like it. My favorite on the show is Bob Beckel. Try it, I think you will get a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems that the more channels we have the less we have to choose from. Not much on the old tub these days. WE usually rent movies.
    Anything with lots of Action.
    shoot them up bang bang and gangster movies.. The one movie that I have come to like is the Fast and Furious.
    One more in the making and due to come out in 2013.

    Home makeover, seems to be one show that I like.
    I do like the one show that was mentioned.. the OC housewives. I guess that could be the OC dems in East Greenbush. I think once in awhile I do check out Jersey shore. Only cause My husband like to see J Wow.
    YOu know she went to school here in East Greenbush.
    lived in the Manor.. and someone said it was said that they were looking into doing new show and was mentioned into looking into bringing it here. But just rummor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NCIS is my favorite. I even watch the reruns over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the HALF TON MOM, too, and was very sad for her. Imagine being trapped in a body so big that you can't move anymore. Then, imagine you did it to yourself with food. Food addiction must be the hardest thing to conquer. I mean, you can stop drinking or drugging and sober up, but you can't stop eating. You just have to learn to do it with restraint, which is very difficult especially when you're hurting. Whenever you see an overweight person, figure there's more to it than just what they're injesting. The body is just the exterior view of us; remember that there is always a very fragile soul dwelling inside who hopes and prays that you'll be kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2:47, unfortunately, I have lost more friends than I care to recall to either drinking or drugs for that reason... they couldn't stop. We regard drinking as a harmless vice, but it's not so harmless. I currently have a few friends who can't stop drinking and it's only a matter of time before their body fails. I've tried to help more times than i care to remember and not unlike Whitney Houston, sometimes you just can't save someone from themselves.

    As for the eating part of it... I don't have a lot of sympathy for her either. I have a great fondness for food... mostly Italian and a weakness for bread and pizza that is at addiction levels. I will drive 2 hours to the bronx to get a particular bread I like, bring several loaves home for friends and... not all of them get it. Because I'm a contractor and work in different areas all the time, I have my haunts where I love to eat and certain foods that i can't ignore. I am currently cutting back on bread and pasta and am not not doing well. Since I but back I've had gnocchi twice and washed down a bunch of olives, cheese and dried sausage with several slices.

    Another show I just watched was Swamp people. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3:42 p.m. As we all know, eating is VERY psychological. I actually get an endorphine rush when I think about my first sip of hot coffee in the morning (ahhhh). I also love eating out; it makes me feel pampered and relaxed. One of my favorite restaurants is Panza's in Clifton Park (especially when they seat us by the fire place) and the Carolina House in Kinderhook. I also love cooking at home in my own kitchen using the ingredients I choose from the various markets I visit. Let's face it, good eating is pure bliss. Afterwards, though, I hit the machines. Thirty minutes on the stair stepper and 30 on the treadmill. I've finally learned...and accepted after much resistance...that heart-pounding exercise is the KEY to vitality and good health especially as we age. We know you like to eat, Mike, but do you exercise? I don't mean like mowing the lawn exercise; I mean like going to the gym exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do i workout? You mean it's not obvious? I do try to lately and I used to more regularly. My work used to keep me very active, but unfortunately, age has made it more difficult to do what I used to do and i don't bounce back like i used to. I can still do what i used to, just not everyday anymore. I will ay i don't eat a lot of junk, never go to McDonalds and I don't drink soda or alcohol (an occasional drink is about it). My big downfall is my cigars... it's a guilty pleasure.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers