Link Update

The Organizational Meeting minutes is updated and a link for it can be found on the right of this page. Salary Addendum is attached.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Peyton Manning’s Future- By Ryan J. Murphy

So as you all probably know by now, there is a lot of drama surrounding Peyton Manning and his future. After his 3, and apparently now 4, neck surgeries, he was unable to play in this year’s NFL season. Without his presence on the field, the Indianapolis Colts fell to the NFL’s worse record, 2-14, and now have the first pick in the NFL draft. It has been stated for the past few months that the Colts will use their first pick to draft Stanford quarterback, Andrew Luck. So… the Colts have a decision to make. Do they draft Luck, and keep Manning, which will amount to around $50 million, paying 2 quarterbacks? Do they pass on drafting Andrew Luck, in hopes that Manning is 100% healthy to play next year? Peyton Manning’s doctors have deemed that he is healthy enough to play football, while others claim he can’t even grip a football. This puts the Colts in a very risky predicament. Or finally, do the Colts draft Luck, and cut their long time franchise quarterback Peyton Manning?

In my opinion, the answer is simple. Plan for the future. You have to part ways with Manning, start fresh, and build around the #1 draft pick Andrew Luck. This is the scenario that is most likely to happen, meaning Peyton Manning is without a team for the 2012 season. There are many teams in the NFL that are in dire need of an answer at the quarterback position. The 35-year-old Manning could still put in another good 3 years or so, assuming he is healthy. Manning said he’d like to retire as a Colt, but again, it’s very unlikely to happen. So… that being said, whom does he sign with in 2012? Teams like the Jets, 49ers, Seahawks, and Browns are all possibilities, but not very logical. Many New York Jets fans would love to see Manning replace current QB Mark Sanchez. This would mean we would get to see Peyton Manning and the Jets play Tom Brady and the Patriots at least twice a season. This would also mean Peyton and Eli Manning would share the big bad city, which would be quite a story, although I don’t see the Jets taking a chance on Manning, after the Brett Favre debacle a few years ago. This leaves 3 more realistic options. The Miami Dolphins, the Arizona Cardinals, and the Washington Redskins. The Dolphins just signed former Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, to be their head coach. I believe Matt Flynn, the Packers back-up QB, will sign a contract with Miami. This leaves the Redskins and Cardinals. I think the Redskins will look at signing Flynn, but ultimately end up drafting Robert Griffin III, in the NFL draft in April. That leaves one team, the Cardinals. If Manning does join the Cardinals, he’ll find a familiar face there, because they hired Manning’s old quarterbacks coach, Frank Reich. Imagine Peyton Manning throwing the ball to Larry Fitzgerald, one of the top receivers in the NFL today. In my eyes, this is the most realistic fit for Peyton. Although I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up in Washington or Miami, I think it’ll be with the Arizona Cardinals.

What do you think the Colts should do? Should they keep Peyton Manning? Or should they draft Andrew Luck, and cut Manning? If the Colts do cut Manning, what city do you think he’ll end up playing in during the 2012 NFL season?

8 comments:

  1. Ryan, I am notoriously ignorant when it comes to sports, but I've followed the NFL closely this year. A group of us followed a nail biting year for the Giants. Our work paid off.

    Woody Allen said, "If show business wasn't a business they'd call it show, show!" Same goes for professional sports. It's a business for the Colts and I say they look elsewhere. Full price is a heavy price for loyalty and as good as he is, there is likely a limited return on their investment.

    Personally I'd like to see him go the Jets even though I agree with you, I don't think it will happen. Sanchez makes it difficult to put any stock in the Jets, but it might be riskier to go with Peyton at this point than sticking with your guy.

    Business being business, my bet says he goes to whomever is willing to pay the most for him. I'd also bet that the price will not only reflect his talent, but the added attention his celebrity will bring the franchise. Frankly, I don't have a clue where he'll go, but I'd bet against Arizona, just because my gut tells me he's more of an East Coast attraction, which I guess would favor Washington, no? How wrong am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Washington would be my second guess. I just feel since one of his former coaches is now a coach in Arizona, and the fact that they have a great receiver, attracts Peyton. At 35 years of age, I don't think he is in it for the money. Of course, you want to get as much as possible, but I think he wants to win another ring. He wants to go to a team where he can have quick success, which I believe his best choice would be Arizona. Wherever he goes, the team should be smart enough to structure the contract so that if he quickly gets hurt again he's not guaranteed millions and millions of dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice change of subjects. Mixing up the blog content between different topics makes it interesting. Politics makes great fodder for writing but discussing other things keeps it from becoming dull. Besides, reading this gives me some sports knowledge and something to talk to my son about over breakfast!
    The Steelers! You're a Steelers fan! Thats a mistake! Why the Steelers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know! I just have been a fan of them all my life. I am a Yankees fan though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you can stay here if you are a Yankees fan, how about them getting rid of AJ Burnett now they can finally win!!!

    Ok my opinion on the whole Manning thing is they have to go with youth, pick Luck, but I will also add this I think they should keep Manning too. Give Luck a chance to grow into the QB position. I know this sounds crazy and will cost them a boat load of money but I think it will be worth it.

    You mentioned Brett Farve, if you remember right he was kept in Green Bay until they thought Rodgers was ready to take over. And he boy was he ready.

    If they do let Manning go, I have no idea where he will end up, but whatever team gets him will be an instant contender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more about how you say wherever Peyton goes, that team will be an instant contender. Luck said he wouldn't mind sitting behind Manning and learning the ropes, but in reality, do you really think he wants to? Probably not. I'm sure he'll want to jump right in. I guess we'll have to see.

      And as for A.J., it's good to see that he has finally been traded. I don't think he was as bad as everyone thought, but I don't believe he fit as a Yankee. I plan on writing a column about the Yankees soon too by the way.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know A J was traded. Where did he go? I hope Chamberlain comes back like a lion after his Tommy John surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burnett was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates for prospects

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers