Link Update

The Organizational Meeting minutes is updated and a link for it can be found on the right of this page. Salary Addendum is attached.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Politics and Chimps---Have we REALLY evolved.......by Ann Taylor

I was watching a show on NatGeo last January (January 23rd to be exact).  I recalled an email discussion I had with some friends regarding the topic discussed and decided to troll through my email archive to find it.  I did and would like to share it with all of you now; the topic and discussion are as timely as ever!  The show was called Mutant Planet.  True title, real show check your cable listings if you don't believe me.  Anyways, I watched the show.  It discussed certain traits that some species have adapted to insure survival of the species.  This episode focused on The Great Rift in Africa. 
One of the species they studied was the chimpanzee.  If you know me at all you know I am all about chimpanzees; LOVE them!  So the show pulled me in further because of the chimps.  Chimpanzees have a diet similar to humans, they eat both plant and animal life.  Here is the funny part--they don't need the "animal" life to survive.  They can easily survive on plant life and be strictly herbivores.  So why do they hunt and kill some animals and eat the meat????  POLITICS!  No lie!  POLITICS!  The narrator used the word POLITICS!  When the "alpha" male hunts and kills he shares the meat with the other males that he is "friends" with to insure their support down the road!  So I ask you...have we REALLY evolved!  The most powerful chimps catch the meat and then divide it out to their friends--similar to what we do with appointed jobs isn't it????? And for me...that kind of said it all.....how involved do I truly want to be in politics if this is based on CHIMP society.  I mean, I love chimpanzees but I would like to think I am a tad more advanced than they are. 
And by the way, the other reason they hunt and kill for meat, that they really don't need--for SEX!  Yup!  After they share the meat with the males of their choice they share what is left over with females--the females remember the male shared the meat and provide "favors" later. 
Yeah-----we really advanced from our distant cousins!  
 
Enjoy your day and hopefully we each do something today that places us MUCH higher on the food chain (or at least on the brain train)!

11 comments:

  1. LOL....this made me laugh out loud. Ann, they are going to have a field day with you on the other blog! Thanks for the late day chuckle. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie--I know!!! LOVE when they get going on that blog, THAT makes ME laugh. They can have at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I prefer "chumps". But those chumps are us - who keep getting screwed and either don't know or don't care enough to do anything about it.

    I mean seriously, who the hell with a well informed and right mind would ever vote for Malone? But enough people did that he got re-elected.

    Chumps?

    "We have met the enemy; and they is us".
    From Pogo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you are telling me all I have to do to get ahead in life is share whatever I hunt and kill? If I only knew this sooner.

    Thanks for the laugh. It seems as though we really haven't come as far as we think we have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #3 So true! I am still scratching my head on that one. It amazes me how these clowns stand the test of time.
    They keep coming back like a bad habit.
    I think MOM might be loosing momentum and we might see a new board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Message to the new town board

    There is a lot of wisdom in this quote, which I will substitute the word YOU for we.

    "YOU cannot solve problems by using the same logic YOU used when YOU created them."

    A. Einstein

    ReplyDelete
  7. Observer....do you think MOM cares??? Look what they have us shelling out for a Town Attorney's office. Over $60K in salary - and pension and medical benefits on top of that.....gotta be close to $100K per year when it's all wrapped up. And then all the real work is done by the firms put in place as consultants in the various areas.

    The patronage, nepotism and graft won't stop until people are in place who won't permit it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like some of the regulars over on Talks are starting to decompensate, so much that even the blogmsister has to shut them down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By rough calculation the town board added at least $500,000 to the town's deficit in 2011. That's just the amount of our money spent for the early retirement option.

    One of those retirees, by the way, is back - as a consultant.

    In 2011 we also added 3 new police officers and a deputy chief. Rough cost for salaries and benefits - another $500,000. Ginny O'Brien party jusitifed the new officers by telling the public that overtime would go down. The last report from Nate Hans shows that overtime, overall for the town, will be slightly higher in 2011 than it was in 2010.

    The 2012 organizational meeting added in the neighborhood of $200,000 to the deficit. That's the salaries and benefits for all the newly created nepotisn and patronage appointment positions. And yes, friends and neighbors, I am fully aware that all these new positions received 5 to 0 vote approval by the town board.

    All in all it is hard to figure out how the town board plans to reduce the deficit and restore our credit rating.

    Perhaps newly elected supervisor, Keith Langley, in his legal role as chief financial officer for the town can share the plan with us?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need to elect people who will stop this CRAP!! Those who continue it are contributing to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do we have a Bookkeeper in Town Hall?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers